MLA research paper outlines – clarity is the key
The MLA research paper outline is one of the most widely used and accepted ways of making an outline that helps organize your research paper. As a student, since you are called upon to do a million things at the same time, having a good outline could help make your work better and easier. What better way to do an outline than follow an established set of rules? There are no two ways about this. If you are going to use the MLA format for your paper, make sure your outline follows the same format too.
Here are a few steps that could help you work on MLA research paper outlines
1. The ‘descending steps of an outline’ are suitable for most papers. For instance, if you number the introduction section of your outline as 1, then you can follow it up by marking a few subsections below that as (a), (b) & (c). You can go further down by having sub sections in (a), (b) & (c) too. These could be (i), (ii) and (iii). What you need to remember here is that there should be a proper and consistent numbering system, right through the whole paper.
2. You can make a few revisions to your outline if you realize that it is not going according to the original scheme of things. In order to identify whether the outline is fine or not, read through your essay question a couple of times. Check whether all the divisions in your outline, completely answer the various questions and sub-questions that are put forward. In case they don’t, then go ahead and incorporate necessary changes.
3. Your MLA research paper outline needs to have the details of sources that you intend bringing in. in order to do this, it would be necessary for you to first zone in on the right kind of resources. Are you going to limit yourself to the school or college library or are you going to depend more on internet info? Either way, this has to be mentioned in your outline. The rationale behind this is simple: if you do not know from where your info is coming, how do you go about finding it and put it in?
4. The same applies to the final stages of your paper. Your outline should also contain a kind of checklist which will assess and evaluate the way in which you have answered the essay question. This is essential in a research paper because you have set out to answer a question and you need to know whether the purpose has been achieved or not.
5. The matter does not end there. You will also need to bring into your outline, details of how to present limitations, if any, to your thesis statement. All good research papers should contain alternate perspectives that are relevant to the topic.
If the points given above sound a little too complicated, just get in touch with us. Our writers could help you craft good MLA research paper outlines that will ensure you write a good paper.