Research paper in MLA format explained
Research Paper is a documentation of the activities that were undertaken to conduct a research, and report the findings. It is imperative that a standard format for writing research paper be followed. Modern Language Association or MLA as its acronym lays down the format and the guidelines for writing research paper. Research paper in MLA format is mostly used for writing research papers within liberal arts and humanities. The MLA format also sets the rules for citing references and sources consulted during the research. It is also in the interest of the writer of the research paper to stick to a standardized format for writing research paper.
To write essays and research papers it is necessary to consult references. MLA requires that the references that were consulted during research be cited. To undertake an in-depth study or research in liberal arts or humanities a lot of references will have to be consulted. A researcher conducting a research on the character of Macbeth in William Shakespeare’s “Macbeth” will be required to consult quite a few references. Thereafter while writing a Macbeth research paper to report the findings, will have to cite all the references as per MLA format. It makes sense to take professional help in writing research paper in MLA format. This will provide more time to the researcher to devote to research work.
The general and basic guidelines that are to be followed while writing a research paper in MLA format are as follows:
- A legible font is to be used; for example “Times New Roman” and the font size should be 12 pt. the text should be double spaced.
- The margin should be one inch on all sides.
- Only one space is to be given after punctuation marks unless otherwise instructed.
- Indent of the first line of the paragraphs should be half inch from the left margin.
- A header is to be created flushed to the right margin. The purpose of the header is to number all the pages of the research paper consecutively.
These are few basic guidelines to be followed while writing a research paper. MLA also sets out guidelines as to how the first page of the research paper in MLA format should be written. Some of the guidelines are as follows:
- Title page is not required unless specifically instructed
- The name of the researcher, the research guide’s name, the course and the date should be typed at the upper left hand corner of the page.
- The title should be typed in title case at the center of page. Never should the title be typed in all capital.
A research is a tedious job, and to make the research better, more and more number of references will have to be consulted. The process of research begins from short listing of research paper titles and ends at documenting the research. Writing research paper as per a given format is way different from conducting research. Hence a researcher may not be interested to devote time to write a research paper. The way out is to seek professional help from experienced research paper writer who specializes in writing as per a given format.