Research paper literature reviews need to be well structured
Writing a research paper literature review, that is comprehensive and relevant, calls for complete understanding of the research paper topic. One trap that many students fall into is to make the literature review sound like a long list of books or journals that have been read during the course of the research. Though it is important to include the various views on a particular topic, it is also necessary to make it sound more like a discussion than just a long list. You could get in touch with us for help on how to manage literature reviews properly so that your entire paper is a well constructed one.
Here are some tips that you could keep in mind while writing a literature review
1. Try to bring in the views of as many authors as possible. If you are wondering what to put in and what not to, try to make a list or an outline of how you will approach the research paper literature reviews. With this outline in hand, you will be able to decide which authors views are pertinent and which are not.
2. If you have a couple of authors who are saying the same thing, (authors with similar sounding views) put them together. This will help in giving your literature review a good structure.
3. Critiquing is an essential part of any research paper writing. So bring this in to your review, by quoting authors who critique factors or aspects of methodology.
4. If there are authors who disagree on the points or assumptions that you are trying to make, ensure you take note of it and list out these views.
5. There could be a few case studies that either support or strongly disagree with your statements. Bring this into your review. However, remember not to dwell for too long on the merits of each of these cases; instead, you need to mention them quite briefly.
6. In your opinion if there are few missing areas in research that has been done on a specific topic or issue, make sure you highlight that.
7. Every topic that you write on is bound to have some work already done on it. List this out with sufficient citations in your research paper literature review.
8. Try to fit in your present study on the topic with the rest of the research that has been done hitherto on the same. This certainly calls for dexterity because you need to position your study in the write space and time. Call us for help and we can help you do this well.
9. Once you are sure you have all the literature you want, try putting it all in a nutshell. It is important to have a good and comprehensive summary of the literature you have collected for your research paper.
Now that you know these salient points in writing research paper literature reviews try doing one on your own. If you are wondering how to proceed after the second or third paragraph, just give us a tinkle or drop us a mail – we can bail you out.