APA term paper formats – be sure about the rules
Using the right format for your term paper is an important aspect of term paper writing; it needs to be learnt at the very beginning of your high school life. Since the APA term paper format is one of the most commonly used formats, it is essential to know the basics about this. The American Psychological Association has specified rules and guidelines about various points, some of which are given below. If you are still not very confident about using the format for your term paper, do not hesitate to call us for further clarifications.
General guidelines for APA papers
1. You need to ensure that the margin in every paper that follows APA term paper formats is one inch on all four sides.
2. Try to use a font that is clear and not fancy. You might want to make use of an attractive font like Calibri, for instance. Do not fall for the temptation to do so. Instead, stick to Times New Roman and use the 12 point size.
3. Your line spacing should be double right through the paper. You might be under the wrong impression that you need to use double space only for the actual body of the paper. This is not so. Make sure that your title page, abstract, appendices and all other parts of the paper have double line spacing.
4. Use an indentation of about five or seven spaces at the beginning of each paragraph.
5. You need to place a small version of the title on the left hand corner of each page. This is referred to as the ‘Running Head’ in an APA paper. It would be good if you remember to use not more than 50 characters in this title. Without this feature, the term paper cannot be recognized as being in APA term paper format.
6. Make sure you put in a title page in your APA paper. This should contain details about the title of your paper, your name, the name of your guide/teacher, the date of submission and the institution’s details.
7. Every APA paper needs to have an Abstract. This section gives a very brief description of what you are going to focus on and how you intend achieving something. Make sure that your entire Abstract is just one paragraph. About 200 words should be just fine. Do not make it too long and wordy. Try to avoid any kind of quotations in your Abstract. This would unnecessarily take up too much of space and also prove unnecessary.
8. Make sure that all your headings and subheadings are provided in the right format – this means no oversized fonts. The title case is generally used for the words in your headings.
The list that you have just gone through cannot claim to be a comprehensive list. However, it is a beginning for a student who wants to know a couple of important things about the APA term paper formats. Take time to read this and call us as soon as you realize that you need help with any kind of term paper writing.